The everyday life of living like Kings...


Thursday, July 21, 2011

Just a little White Lie....

Today I spent the day with my mom. We had a day planned of going out to lunch & then going to see the new Harry Potter film. We were both excited, but, running late. We decided to eat at our favorite bagel shop for lunch, since they are much quicker than any restaurant.... Little did we know it would set us back much further than any "sit down" restaurant.

You see, we had just ordered and we were waiting for our bagel sandwiches to be ready. Mom was standing in front of a table, leaning forward & looking at an article that was framed on the wall. After she was done she backed up, and all the sudden tables and chairs went a-flying. It was quite bizarre really. We laughed about it a little, but then looked down. Mom's big toe had been completely sliced off on the top, and was bleeding like crazy. Apparently she had her toe underneath part of the leg of the table and it acted like a razor blade to her skin.

Well, we quickly left the shop, leaving our bagels behind (along with a few grossed-out customers), and went to the "doc-in-the box". We had just gone to the ER a few weeks ago with Brady to get stitches, and knew that they.... well, take a while. We figured this would be faster. We were wrong. Very wrong.

While waiting in the waiting room, mom had me send pictures of her toe to our family members so she could get a little sympathy. As you probably know, we have quite a big family... so she was getting very upset when nobody was responding to her very disgusting picture. She would even say, "Well what about Meghan? Meghan hasn't responded?" or "I can't believe Dad and Molly are in meetings and don't even care about me. I could be dead for all they know". As she continued to talk about how much her family didn't love her, she continued to take pictures of her toe, with "grosser" angles, to have me send again.

After we had seen the doctor over 2 hours later, we decided a different approach. I texted all my siblings, and my father, with this text:

"Does anyone know Mom's blood type? She needs a blood transfusion but is passed out and can't tell them"

Then
the calls and texts came pouring in....

Molly: (She called, I ignored it, I was laughing too hard)
"Tell me if your joking"

Me: "Can't talk, in the middle of surgery"

Molly: "I am in an effing meeting. Tell me right effing now if your joking"

Me: "joking!"

Molly: "Not funny, at all"

Mom and I were cracking up in the exam room. We were literally crying with laughter, but it wasn't until people really started texting us her blood type that we really got rolling. Our personal favorite was short and sweet from Meghan...

"I believe it is O Positive"

(A minute or so later)

"Sure hope I'm right!"

(another couple of minutes)

"Is Dad available?!?"

That's when we thought we'd come clean. So, we missed Harry Potter, our lunch, and our afternoon, but we sure did have a good time.... for me, it was literally at everyone else's expense. Thanks guys! ;)

1 comment: